Saturday, March 9, 2013

How to Enjoy Sunshine Part II

"Flowers for you, Mama!"

Saya with Seattle cityscape in the background.

Sean at an old broiler barn.

Climbing the old equipment.

Peaceful scenery of people taking their breaks from their hectic lives.

I spotted a pretty white yacht.

Why is it so much fun to throw rocks in the water?

Sean picked the spot to take a break at.

What a view!

The shade of the tanks changed to darker color as the sun sets.

Saya reflecting on her life ??
I published a post titled "How to Enjoy Spring Sunshine" a couple of years ago in spring, so this is the part two of the seasonal report from Seattle.  Everyone in Seattle were looking forward to today since we knew it was going to be a warm gorgeous day.  It was clear everyone was outside since there were far more cars on the roads than usual, crazed pale crowds determined not to waste this precious sunny day in early spring.  Mike ran a half marathon in the morning, which went fabulously.  He ran his personal best and he didn't injure himself.  He is becoming an experienced competitor knowing his own body and pace.  We are proud of him for approaching his race in more relaxed manner and achieving his best time yet!  The kids and I had a playdate with a friend and her little boy who goes to school with Noah.  We had fun chatting and the kids were doing their own things, having snacks and making a mess. 

Since Mike had a big race in the morning, I decided to take the kids out to soak up the sun.  I had to leave Noah since I don't think I could effectively watch all four children in a crowd.  I will make it up to you, Noah!!  We drove to Wallingford neighborhood in Seattle to visit Gas Works Park.  I've seen pictures of the park before and wanted to visit it for quite some time.  Before it became a park, the site was a hassling and bustling coal to gas manufacturing plant which provided gas for lights, heat and home appliances for much of city's residents in early 20th century.  I am glad the city made the right decision to convert the site to a park.  Its location, right on the Lake Union overlooking Seattle's downtown, is worthy to be appreciated by everyone.  I am happy they kept some of the original factory structures as well for their historical significance.  Built in 1906?  They look far more modern than their age.

The kids and I first walked up the artificial kite hill in the west side of the park.  The view from the top was breathtaking and we felt like we were on top of the world.  There were a lot of people out there and I had three children running around separately.  It was hard to keep an eye on all of them since the park was big and it was not flat.  Sure enough, Sean and Aly went off my radar for a short while and I had to climb up the hill with Saya to find them.  They were calling out for me like lion cubs and Mama came to rescue them.  We walked over to the play area which was converted from an old boiler barn in factory days.  The kids had fun climbing the giant pipes and wheels.  We wandered around the park and found a shore where the kids threw rocks into the water.  They could have done that for hours, but we decided to move on and have a picnic on the hill since it was getting a little late.  Moving from one location to another takes forever with three kids, but we all made it up to the hill again.  Sean wanted to sit on the very top of the hill, so we did.  What a view it was.  I could watch the sea planes taking off and landing, party boat with dancing passengers passing by, and look at all the pretty details of buildings and houses expanding as wide as I can see.   Seattle is an amazingly beautiful city.  I sure complain the heck out of the rain and the mood swings that comes with it, but it's all worth it - so I thought, sitting with my happy chuckling kids at Gas Works Park.




No comments: