Sunday, September 11, 2011

Visit to Lewiston and First Week of Kindergarten

A little nervous to smile!

Ready for school!

The walk to school.

Ready to go inside the school.

Sean lining up to get into his class.

Sean at his seat coloring the birthday cake card.  Not much interaction between children.  I guess they were all nervous.

So my big boy is officially a kindergartner. He was excited and nervous at the same time. We went to visit grandpa and Shasha on the labor day weekend right before the school started. That was an excitement on its own. We wanted to spend one last time with family before we go back to the school mode again.

We left on Saturday early afternoon after having lunch and arrived to Lewiston before 7 pm. We took the regular potty break at Othello, but something I wasn't too happy about happened right before. I got a speeding ticket!! I am usually good, not a dumb speeder. I don't call myself a speed limit lover, but I know when to slow down. But I guess it just happens sometimes. This is my second speeding ticket ever in my 21 years of driving history (both time after having kids), so I won't be too hard on myself.

We had a good time in Lewiston. We took the kids to the river and they happily played in the water. Saya wasn't a water girl, but she loved playing with the shovels and mud. Noah had the best time of all. He was giggling and all about smiles and wanted to venture into the deeper spot. He was wearing floaters, but I wouldn't let him go too deep. Kids were constantly running around in grandpa's house and backyard. They didn't sleep so much, either, so by the time we got home, they were beyond tired. In fact, it took them a few days to recover from the fatigue (I am thinking so did grandpa and Shasha!) Thank you Bob and Marsha for letting us come to visit you in such a short notice!

But the children were ready to go to school on Monday. Sean woke up around 6:30 am and was a different kid. He was asking a lot of questions about school and he was more serious. Since his school starts at 9:00 am, it's too late for Mike to drop him off at school. That means I have to take other three with me to Sean's school everyday. So, we got all other children ready and off we went, two of them in the stroller and other two walked. We took some pictures in front of the house before we left. He was happy and nervous at the same time. I could see a lot of things were on his mind as he headed up to his brand new school.

More and more parents and their children flocked as we got closer to school. It's only about 6 minutes walk to school from our house. I've never realized before that there are so many children in the walking proximity school. Where were they hiding all this time? I must say though, we were the only parents walking with four children.

When Sean wen into the main hall and met his new teacher, Mrs. Fotheringham, he told her "I have a cat and her name is Grace."  The teacher said "oh, that's nice!"  It was really cute.  By then he had the down to business voice and face on.  I went into his classroom and watched him find his name tag and cubby.  He found his chair, at the front as I requested, and sat there looking around the room and his new classmates.  He watched other children and started coloring his birthday cake card the teacher gave him.  I told him I love him and wished him the best.  He said "ok" in a serious tone and I left him then.  I almost got teary looking at my little boy being so big and brave.  The little baby I had, he is five now.  He has learned so much compared to where he was two years ago.  That kid is going to be alright!

No comments: