Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Fate of Pine Chick


After having her a little over a week, Pine Chick became a part of our family.  She would greet us in the morning by the front door asking to be fed and she ran towards us when we step out from the garage.  She kind of grew on me.  The neighbors also thought she was cute and fed her whenever they were out.  She was becoming quite a neighborhood chicken.  I worried about her safety at night whether she will make it through the night away from predators' eyes and keep herself warm in the cold rain.  One day around the dusk time concerned that she didn't find the corns I left for her in the front porch, I walked over to the side of my house to see if I could find her.  As I approached the side, I heard her making noise.  I kept looking behind the bush, but I could not find her.  I then heard more noise from right above me and sure enough Pine Chick was perched up on the maple tree.  She was looking at me as if saying "what are you doing here?" and tried to come down.  I told her to go to bed and stay safe and left her alone.   Who knew chickens sleep on a tree?

Lucky for Pine Chick, a kind lady who is a friend of our neighbor's took her in.  The new owner is called "a chicken lover" and already owns several hens.  The neighbor said she even sends out Christmas cards with the portrait of each chicken.  I wanted her to be adopted by an owner who knows well about chickens since they can be difficult to get along if they didn't grow up together.  Sounds like Pine Chick is in good hands.  We did consider taking her in, but our backyard is not landscaped yet and of course, I am a super busy Mom of four. 

Pine Chick is gone, but the kids still talk about her.  We sure miss that pretty chicken with fluffy head.  I've heard that chickens are smart creatures and I now know for a fact.  She used the power beyond her innate instinct to connect with people who are willing to help her.  What a clever little thing she was.  It was an experience worthwhile for all of us.  Thank you Pine Chick for giving us the opportunity to take care of you!

No comments: