Sunday, October 19, 2014

Two Baby Showers





It happens that I know four women who are heavily pregnant and are due to have their baby in October.  It is exciting to see their bellies growing every time I see them and listen to the familiar gripe about their pregnancy.  I guess I didn't really have too many friends to talk to when I was pregnant with all my babies since I was working full-time from home.  It would have been fun to have prego friends to compare my swollen feet with.  I am thankful though that I have enough children now and I am all babied out.  No.More.Babies.

My Japanese neighborhood friends and I decided to have a baby shower for a Japanese lady who recently moved from Japan.  It is her third child, but she is new to the country and we thought that it would be nice to introduce her to an American custom and celebrate her upcoming birth together.  I offered to host the shower at my house and I was so excited to decorate the house with baby colors.

It was a small gathering and not like a full on baby shower with diaper cake and games, but we had delicious snacks and a beautiful cake baked by a local Japanese patisserie.  Our friend looked happy and we were glad we made her day.  There are millions of things you need for a baby, but I narrowed down to a few gift items and gave her a swaddler, organic baby body wash and diaper cream.  She is going to have a girl and I am sure the little baby girl is going to be gorgeous because the Mama is a very beautiful woman. 

When I decided to host the baby shower, an idea popped in my head that maybe I should host another one since the home is already decorated for the occasion.  My dear friend is due to have a baby boy in two weeks and she is also new to the country (she moved from France).   I called friends around and invited them to the small party.  I decided to keep this one a surprise for the guest of honor.  Since we held it at lunch time, I've decided to serve Japanese style lunch.  It wasn't a fancy lunch but I wanted it to be a comforting home cooking for my friends.  I think they enjoyed it and most importantly, my pregnant friend felt loved and knows she has friends who are just as excited for the baby's arrival.  The baby boy was born last week and he is adorable!  He has chubby cheeks and little fish mouth.  He looks like a doll. 

It reminds me about when we welcomed our babies and the unique experience of feeling happy, irate, and nervous at the same time and how my own house looked even different from the pregnancy hormone induced eyes.  I am very happy for my friends and wish them and their new babies the best.  Life is precious and beautiful!

No comments: