Saturday, December 12, 2015

Thanksiving 2015



I sort of become a squirrel around this time of the year running around collecting food from various stores and storing them into our two refrigerators.  At about the same time, the parking lot and shopping etiquette of people go south, probably from the stress of conquering all the things they have to do between mid November and December.  Those two months are the busiest months in America and ironically the time we forget what actually we are celebrating.  I can't really complain because I am one of those unspiritual and ungraceful ones.  Let the acid boil in the stomach, it's a Holiday time!

Thanksgiving was very cozy and nice at our house.  Shasha and grandpa drove all the way from Lewiston with their energetic puppy, Archie.  Kids were so excited to see Archie and kept talking about the reunion for days and weeks.  I asked them "are you more excited to see Archie or granndpa and Shaha", and they took some time to think about that.  Sorry, Shasha and grandpa.  Archie has a strong grip on the kids' heart.

I was better prepared this year than previous years.  I decided on the menu and printed them out way in advance, made the shopping list and bought non-perishable items early.  It got hectic the last three days pre-Thanksgiving, but I found everything on the list by the day before.  I am glad because Trader Joe's was crazy busy.  The checkout line was dragging all way back to the back of the store.  Luckily, my line went fast which is a very different scenario than usual. 

I changed things around a bit this year with the menu.  Instead of rubbing spice mixture on turkey on outer skin, I put the mixture under the skin.  My goal was to make the turkey moist and flavorful.  Even the stuffing was a bit different.  I made Mushroom and Leek Bread Pudding by Inna Garten on Food Network and it was delicious!  It was lighter than my usual recipe since it doesn't contain any sausages, yet the texture and hint of mushroom flavor mixed with sweet leek was a perfect match.  I will keep this recipe for sure.  All the guests liked it.  I didn't make the traditional green bean casserole, either.  The problem with the typical casserole is that it is way too rich.  It tastes good but I can't eat more than two bites.  I picked Green Beans with Lemon and Garlic by Patrick and Gina Neely.  I am a Food Network fan as you can tell.

We enjoyed the dinner very much.  We had Nana of course and Mike's colleague from work who brought us two beautiful poinsettias.   The kids didn't eat much as they were excited about the whole ordeal but we let them slide.  Archie cleaned the floor by eating all the food we dropped.  We need a dog just for that part.  Our cat Grace didn't seem so cool for her lazy cat attitude.  Poor girl was hiding in my bedroom since Archie was here.  She does not like any other animals and she becomes a beast when she sees another. 

Grandpa's visit was short but he promised he will be back in spring.  The pass to get here gets snow, so winter is a tough time to visit.  Thank you for making the trip, Bob and Marsha! 

Now the big event, Christmas!  And... only five more days until kids' school is out!!

No comments: