Monday, September 19, 2016

Japan Trip 2016 Part IV










My hometown Osaka is a mega city.  It has over 2.5 million people living in the city, and area is considerably small (225 km2).  My kids are always shocked to see the wave of people exiting the subway and people busily crisscrossing amongst each other.  I have been living away from the hustle and bustle of the city for a long time, but the city senses come back whenever I return.  I never have issues being in a large crowd like some people do (like Mike).  I am a city girl by nature and I should call myself a hybrid city girl because I am ok with real nature, too, since I live in Washington.

Osaka is so large that there are many downtowns within the city.  My family live in the northern part of Osaka and we are closest to the downtown area called Kita which means north.  We frequent a town called Umeda there since it's a big downtown with great shops and restaurants.  Many department stores and shops are connected to train stations underground and they have a big web of underground shopping malls which I am sure those new to the area could easily get lost in.  You will never get bored there!

The photos above were taken in a downtown area called Minami which means south.  Minami to me is a little more touristy and also has more drinking party atmosphere than Kita.  You probably have seen a photo of Doutonbori before with bright neon signs over a bridge.  That is Minami and many tourists flock there to enjoy the lively Osaka atmosphere.  Minami is colorful and popular with fashion conscious young people.  There are many stylish stores and unique goods which attracts people who like to stand out, but once you step into the back street, there are scenes that haven't changed since 60s.  I love the intermingling of old and new.  That is what I wanted to capture in the photos.  I love my city Osaka and it's always good to return to my vibrant city.




No comments: