Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sean's Royal Week



I cannot believe it is May already and we are talking about the end of school year.  Sean's first grade class has a "Royal Week" for each student, which a prince or princess will spend a week sharing  their interest and introducing their family to the class.  Sean's week was just last week and we had a busy time preparing for the special week. 

Monday was "All About Me" day and Sean made a poster with the pictures of his family (including Grace) and his favorite things in the world.  He put several pictures of the buildings he likes; Burj Khalifa, Tokyo Sky Tree, Space Needle, Colombia Center and Willis Tower and explained to the class what they are.  This kid is a very consistent type of person.  When he likes something, he really likes it and it doesn't change.  I heard he did a great job presenting the poster.

Tuesday was "Sharing Day".  He pondered for a while what he wanted to take and decided to take his Iron Man Car which he got from Santa last Christmas.  He showed me all the compartments it has and I am pretty sure that is what he talked about to his friends.  His initial plan was to take the Burj Khalifa lego structure, but we decided he might lose some pieces and that would be devastating.

Wednesday was "Talk Show Day" and he became the guest of a talk show about him.  Ms. Lowy said he ran into the class from the hall way, pretending he was entering a studio set.  How fun!  He also took his favorite snacks, rice crackers, gluten free cookies, garlic green peas, and pretzels.  I am not sure how many of his friends braved eating dried green peas, but it's all about trying new things and stepping out the comfort zone!

Thursday was "Parent's Day" and I went to his class to talk about Japan.  I made three simple posters to go with what I talked about, one being a big Japanese map with some basic information about Japan, a poster with some pictures of food and people in Japan, and an illustrated Japanese language conversation board.  Making them was a lot of fun and I did it with certain artisan swiftness.  I knew exactly what kind of posters I wanted to make immediately and got in the zone.  It was weird.  It must mean, I am meant to be a poster maker.  No, in all seriousness, I think I am meant to be a teacher.  Sometimes, real love is not what you stick with.  Anyway, I had a lot of fun talking to the kids and the children listened with wide eyes to my mini Japanese lesson.  I taught them some greetings in Japanese and we practiced together at the end.  A little boy who sat next to me at the cafeteria after the lesson told me how much he enjoyed my presentation.  That made my day.  Sean was smiling the whole time and he seemed really happy that I was there with him.

On Friday, his friends made a book about what they liked about Sean.  Many of them wrote they like him because he is nice and he is a good artist.  I am happy his classmates think he is a good friend to them and know what he is good at.  Two years ago, I was worried about how he might fair in a regular classroom without the special education support, but look at him now!  I am so proud of him for getting this far.

We are all glad his royal week went well.  I got to see how he is at school and in the lunch room and he looked bigger than when he is at home!  He knew the rules and respected them.  Thank goodness for the wonderful school he is a part of.  I will be happy to volunteer and give lessons about Japan to other classes as well, I thought. 

No comments: