Sunday, May 12, 2013

Saya's Bounciful Birthday Party









I am not a fan of having a big birthday party for kids as it is a lot of work and it is quite expensive.  However, having been to several parties of our friends and how fun they had, I've decided to just dive in and hold Saya's birthday party at a big bouncy house nearby. 

Saya requested a birthday cake with Saphie, her favorite animal character from her Japanese show.  Knowing how long it takes to create the character shaped cookie, I planned ahead and worked on it the day before.  I chose an image from the coloring book grandma sent us recently and traced it on a cookie sheet carefully.  Then I prepared the dough with right coloring and spent the next two hours until the wee hours of the night drawing and filling in the perfectly mixed colors to make Saphie.  I was pleased with how it turned out.

I baked the sponge cake the next day using the recipe my friend gave me, however the cake didn't rise.  Oh-oh, I was in trouble!  I ran to the store and bought the yellow cake mix since I was running out of time.   This is the morning of the party, so you can just imagine the rush I felt being under the pressure.  It felt like I was on a TV show trying to beat the clock baking and decorating the cake.
The end product was not as perfect as I pictured, but it was good enough.  I was glad that I was able to finish it on time. 

We had about 18 children and they all had fun jumping around.  They got to play in the bouncy house for an hour and fifteen minutes and many of the little guests seemed tired towards the end.  They were sweaty and red cheeked, a good sign it will be an easy night for their parents to put them to sleep.  The day was beautiful outside in 70s, so I was glad I served ice cream with the cake. 

When the attendant at the facility peeled off the plastic wrap covering the cake, the icing on the front came off with it.  I hadn't taken a good picture of it before the decoration got ruined.  Saya didn't even notice the messy spot and looked very pleased with her Saphie cake.  I wonder if she thinks I can make anything she wants to make.  It's good to be a kid of a eager to please border collie type of Mom. 

We invited Parker as well, so Sean was all set.  He enjoyed playing with his best buddy.  Noah had a lot of fun as well as he loves to jump.  He was good and escaped only once.  The party was a success and now my other children want to have a party there as well.  Oh well...  I guess you are a kid for a small portion of your life time. 

She received many gifts from her friends and what a lucky little girl she is!  She is happy to share them with  her sister and brother and they have been playing with the new toys ever since.  Thank you so much for coming to Saya's party!  She had a lot of fun with all her friends!
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: