Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Saying Goodbye

The last gift: I made this vase arrangement for Jerry and visited him for the last time.  I never imagined that he would pass away that day.

Jerry left comical notes often.  This one was on his gate.  He had a great sense of humor!

Today (5/8), I lost a very dear friend of mine.  I was honored to be there for him until his last moment.  It was hard seeing him so frail, but we as a human need to be there for each other in difficult times.  Jerry was a kind soul with a witty sense of humor.  I've known him for as long as I've lived in this neighborhood, but we became close a several month ago after his cancer started to take a toll on his body.  I volunteered to walk his dog since he couldn't anymore and we occasionally visited and talked.  He was a quiet man, but he had a depth of the deepest ocean which was a treasured discovery for me.  I felt that we connected very well and understood each other even though we led a very different kind of life. 

Jerry lived alone in his small 1930s cottage two houses down from us with his beloved beagle, Ripley.  He was a very private person and kept to himself most of the time, but gladly visited neighbors when invited.   We invited him for dinner on 4th of July last year and had a good meal together.  He never got married and enjoyed a quiet life with his dog. 

We miss you very much, Jerry.  I am so glad you chose me to be your friend and spend the last moment together.  As I promised you, I will ALWAYS remember you.  I hope you understood me then when I was speaking to you, holding your hand.  You looked very beautiful as if you grew wings and flew away.  I trust that you are with your loved ones in Heaven.  Life is beautiful and precious.  You were a beautiful human being.  Rest in Peace Jerry.   

No comments: