Saturday, April 11, 2015

Sean's Winter Basketball




Oh good golly, it's been a month since I updated this blog!  This doesn't happen very often, I promise. The last time I abandoned the blog for a lengthy period of time was nearly three years ago when we had a flea infestation from our lovely cat, Grace.  Ok, no fleas this time, I was just plain-o-busy.  My Mom came and stayed with us for three weeks and most of my family had managed to get sick with severe cold.  We ended up having bronchitis and pneumonia.  Terrible, terrible, stuff!  I had a high fever every day for 5 days which went up to 104F at night.  We still have some left over coughs and it feels like we have been sick forever.  I can't wait till we are all healthy again.

So, looking at my photo archives, I missed writing about Sean's basketball season this year.  Since he had such a positive experience with football, he was very eager to keep himself occupied with team sports during his "off season".  We joined a local basketball team for third graders and the kids quickly bonded.  The good thing about playing team sports is that you develop an instant comradeship within the team having the same goal.  The coach was a high school junior but Sean seemed to like him and respect him a lot.  The practice was not as hard as football, but it kept his fitness level up and he often practiced dribbling and shooting on our driveway. 

I went to see his last game in March and I could not shut myself up.  "Sean, move this way!! No that way!!", it is so hard to keep quiet.  He is not the aggressive type of player, so he sort of runs around unnecessarily and doesn't get the ball as often as he wants to.  Once he gets the ball, he doesn't keep it too long.  Maybe he is afraid of screwing up.  It was his first season, so I think he was doing the right thing.  Once he gets more comfortable, he should be able to seek out the ball better.  He was happy that his team shirt is green as it is his favorite color.  He did take the team and individual pictures but we are not sure where they are.  I have to ask the coach when we are going to get them.  One of the parents emailed me wondering the same thing. 

He is taking a break right now from sports since I missed the registration for baseball.  I was hoping to put him in the Little League this spring.  I might enroll him in basketball again until summer.  It's just that drop off and pick up are a pain when I have to haul everyone in my van.  Alyson and Saya started taking a Japanese Calligraphy lessons on Thursdays, so their schedule got a little crazier.  It's a common grievance amongst parents and I want to salute all the Moms and Dad's out there in their minivans running around town like a rat chase everyday!

No comments: