Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Eating Little Fish and Swimming

Aly ate the head of the little fish!
We ate the whole thing in one night.
We had two play dates with Parker today and Sean was sooo happy!

We have been going through a cloudy and cooler period which is unusual for this time of the year in Seattle. I already feel like summer is coming to an end and feel sad about that. The stores are now in the full swing of back to school sales and all the pool gears are at the clearance section. This year was Sean's first official summer break since he was still at Bijay's daycare last year. I thought it would be a challenge to keep the kids busy all summer, but between summer schools and therapies, it has been pleasant (occasionally, one can hear me chanting "crazy" infinitely). In fact, I do enjoy spending more time with the kids, especially Sean. I have a mixed feeling about school starting and I am surprising myself for feeling this way.
But Sean's super excited about school now. He got a new blue big boy backpack, Toy Story lunch bag and metal water bottle. Now that he is on the gluten and casein free diet, he needed a nice lunch bag to take his home made lunch in and a bigger backpack to accommodate it. He's so excited, he is sleeping with them right now.
He's also proud of himself today because he was very brave at his first swimming lesson at the gym. It took him about 10 minutes to get used to the idea of jumping in the pool without any floaters and being held by a complete stranger. The instructor was trying to persuade him to get in the pool with her, but he was too anxious. We walked away to the other side of the pool and he watched people swimming in the pool from the bench. After observing others for a little while, he said he wanted to do it. So, we walked back and Sean hesitantly held the woman's hand and got in the pool. I was storming the applause and claps like a crazy lady. I suddenly realized that outside the special education world, the world is quite harsh. I say that because 1) the instructor, Vicky, seemed annoyed that Sean was taking extra time, 2) she raised her voice at Sean for jumping at the pool side (he jumps and flaps his hands when he is anxious, an autism thing), and 3) I was the only one with exaggerated applause in the whole place, which is a standard in special ed. I am proud of myself though that I stuck with it. I almost walked away feeling angry at Vicky. I have to learn to slowly let my protective hands off my sons to prepare them for the real world. That is what I learned from the swim lesson incident today.
What I meant for a quick post is turning into a novel! I have one more thing to write about the little fish I bought at the Asian market the other day. Shishamo, smelts in English, is a savory little fish which you eat from head to tail fin. They are about the size of long french fries, so their bones are soft and small. The best kinds are the pregnant(?) ones. Being pregnant three times myself that is the oddest thing I write, but it's true. We call them "komochi shishamo" meaning shishamo with babies. I love komochi shishamo and I decided to cook them yesterday. BUT, I had no idea how to cook them. Do I season them or do they come salted (some fish do in Japan)? I called my Mom but she wasn't home. Like all other things unsure of, I decided to throw them on the grill. They turned out great! I am so proud of myself for being able to cook them perfectly, just like I used to eat in Japan. I wondered if I would traumatize kids if I layed dead little fish on the table in front of them, but they were tougher than I thought. Aly asked for it and ate it from the head, Saya ate the head, too, and even Sean licked the little head and pressed it with his lips! I am going to make them again and I am all for expanding the kids culinary senses!!

3 comments:

Jan Campbell said...

Congratulations to you and Sean on the successful swimming lesson, Kimi. This is an important skill for him to have and you are a wonderful advocate for him.

Amanda J said...

Hi Kimi! I taught swim lessons for a few years in Boise and, although it's important to teach kids rules and safety in the pool, it's ok to not like your swim instructor. She should be patient with Sean (special ed or not) since it is his first time in swim lessons! A lot of kids take extra time getting in the pool (even after their first swim lesson!). It's a scary thing with new people and often time I think the cold water doesn't help. Ultimately, I'm really happy to hear that you've put Sean in swim lessons! Swimming is a great sport that can be enjoyed all through life and even if he doesn't want to swim for sport, he will at least be comfortable around water, which I think is SO important!

Tired Parents said...

Thanks, Jan. Yes, you are right. It's an important skill to learn and he loves it. Must figure out a way to get my other kids to take lessons, too.

Amanda, I didn't want to be a difficult parent and I let it go, but I am thinking she should have been more patient, too. She seemed like she likes being firm with kids and enjoys when the kids are tad afraid of her. That type of person. So, we'll see. I think she could be better.