Monday, April 1, 2013

Mr. Little OCD

It's interesting to me as a very random and spontaneous person to watch Noah go through the range of fixed processes he repeats everyday exactly the same way.  For example, he has this circuit he runs in the house with same objects in hand.  If I am in his way, he winces and resumes his run when I clear his way.  It's not just running though.  He normally carries his favorite dog puppet toy on his left and a pink bunny on the right.  As he passes by the sink, he stops, looks at the dog puppet as if he is nodding with the puppet, he then runs behind the dining room table, pauses about three seconds at the corner, and proceeds to the entrance area.  He looks pretty content and I just wonder what in the world he is thinking about.  His imagination must be big, beyond what I am seeing for sure.  He also has this thing he does before he climbs on something.  He always has to hop three times on his right foot before he sits on the couch or climbs on a step.  Even tonight, Noah kept making noise past bedtime and he sounded like he wanted something.  He could not tell me what he wanted, so I let him come out and grab something important he must have to sleep.  He ran downstairs to the playroom and grabbed a head of a broken doll and a batman.  He then ran upstairs to his room and carefully laid the dog puppet, doll's head, batman, and bunny.  He adjusted the alignment of each objects until he was 100 % satisfied and he swiftly got on bed after he was finished.

The OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) is very common amongst children with Autism and Sean has it, too, in a lesser degree.  While it is concerning, you gotta laugh a bit!  I admit, I've never liked stepping on the dividing lines between two tiles or and I still avoid them while walking around even in my own house!  Little boys with little obsessions.  Life is a comedy and lately there are many of it in our house! 

No comments: