Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Happy Easter and Birthday







We celebrated the Easter holiday last Sunday with backyard egg hunting and family dinner.  We were blessed with gorgeous weather and the girls wore fancy dresses for the occasion.  They wanted to look like little princesses but they opted to wear long socks and sneakers, so there goes the crown.  We stuffed some candies, stickers and little toys into the colorful plastic eggs the night before, and Mike hid them in the yard in the morning while I distract the children upstairs.  When it was time to set the children loose, we told them the rules.  Apart from the usual no pushing or shoving, they can only find up to five eggs each.  I got the idea from an Easter Party we went the day before at Sean's friends' house.  It seemed unfair every year that Sean always have gotten the most number of eggs and the youngest was lucky if she found one. 

Nana came over to watch the children egg hunting.  Mike did a good job of hiding.  We built the fence last year and have not landscaped it yet.  I honestly thought he could not effectively hide them anywhere, but it took some time for the children to find all the eggs.  They were very cute helping each other find the eggs.  Sean found all five of them plus a boy toy very quickly, of course, and helped his brother and sisters find theirs.  He was being very sweet.  I became a news photographer trying to capture the moment as the children were running around. 

A pleasant big surprise came after the egg hunt when Aaron called to say he and Tina are coming up to spend Easter with us.  They are moving to Salt Lake City in early April and we thought we won't be able to see them before they left, so we were very glad they came.  I was preparing plenty of food for the dinner, so I didn't not have to change menu or buy anything additional.  The menu of the day was:  Rainbow Trout with soy bourbon sauce on a cedar plank,  gourmet pork sausages, deviled eggs, scalloped potatoes, garden salad, baked asparagus with balsamic vinegar and sea salt, shrimp cocktails, fruit salad, and butter rolls.  The guests gave me two thumbs up, so I was happy.  I like to make people smile with food I make.

We also celebrated my birthday, which was the next day, with a fruit cream cake Mike bought from one of my favorite bakery.  The family sang me the happy birthday song and I blew on the candles wishing my family's good health and Noah's good progress.  I had to pause for a moment to collect my thoughts and wish them properly.  I am that kind of girl! 

We had a very nice visit with Aaron, Tina and Nana.  The Easter this year was extra special to spend with the people we deeply love and care about.  I hope you had a nice Easter as well.  I am not religious, but it's a nice holiday to celebrate spring and the cuteness of children!

No comments: