Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Roller Skate Night






I had forgotten to post pictures from Spiritridge Elementary roller skate night which happened a week before Halloween.  I remember my Dad taking my cousin and I to roller skating when we were kids and it was tons of fun.  Being kids, we learned to roller skate pretty quickly and were doing neat tricks together going around the link.  It was my kids' (Aly, Sean and Saya's) first roller skating experience and they fell a lot of course, but had lots of fun!  Many of the children were dressed in their costumes and the place was jammed.  I've seen the skate link before but never visited it before.  It screamed early 80s, possibly 70s, and it needed much updating not to mention cleaning.  Their circular benches were all carpeted in red and blue multi design and it felt like an old and dirty teddy bear fur.  The bathroom looked like prison bathrooms and I had to take a deep breath before diving inside with Alyson.  The rental roller skates used to be white, but it's all gray since the white outer layer all chaffed off.  Aly's skates had holes on them and had to exchange for another one.  I am not a whiner usually, but I was just surprised how dated everything was. 

The kids didn't seem to mind it though and jumped into the link after practicing a little on the carpet.  They were quite terrible at it and me being a little rusty on my own skating skill, we all looked pretty comical.  Alyson's bottoms and hands were all over the place, Saya kept falling and started to cry, Sean couldn't move forward in the middle of the link and the staff had to carry him to the side...  I thought they would want to just give up, but they kept on skating.  They had a great time!  We have to try it again in the near future.  They were beyond exhausted by the time they got home.  It was on a school night and I am pretty sure the teachers had fun the next day dealing with spacey children!

No comments: