Saturday, July 4, 2015

Noah Boah Escapes



Well, our little Noah gave us a big scare last weekend when he decided to open the front door which was accidentally unlatched and go on a door to door house invasion and free roaming adventure for an hour.   Mike and I were upstairs doing something and totally did not hear him open the door.  We have a voice alert system installed on doors so that we know when the doors are opened.  We also have a latch high on the door so that kids cannot open the door.  Somehow the latch was not in correctly and Noah was able to open the door!   When Mike discovered the front door wide open, I knew what had happened. 

I was still in PJ, so I asked Mike to go ahead and look for him while I get dressed.  I quickly put on my sneakers and ran looking for him.  Mike went to our neighbor's house in the back, but he was not there.  I asked our neighbors walking by if they have seen a little boy running and they said no.  I ran as fast as I could on our street and beyond looking for him, but there was no sign of him.  Sean helped, although I asked him to stay at home, on his bike.  He wanted to help because he was very worried about Noah.   I asked Sean to go look for him towards the school and the playground.  I ran and ran, but there was no Noah.  I then went back home and decided to drive around to cover areas more quickly.  I asked Mike to do the same.  I started to panic a bit, but I knew I had to stay calm and focus.  It was very terrifying to see something on the road because I thought it could be Noah.  Noah does not check for cars.  He darts across the street without even stopping.  There was a possibility he could get hit by a car and get injured. 

I finally called Mike and asked him to call police.  The time was ticking and every minute counted.  He would be in more danger as the time passed.  I focused and thought of all the places he might want to visit.  I knew that he wanted take a path out of school on the other side when I took him to play at the school playground the other day, so I drove to the back of the school and looked for him.  He was not there.  My neighbor whom I saw earlier posted a missing boy post on our neighborhood website.  I appreciated her swift action because that was what I wanted to do if I had time.  I was at loss to where to look for him.  I drove around slowly since he might jump in front of my car.  Every car I passed I prayed they won't hit my son.  It was just a horrible feeling.

The day before this incident, Noah and I hugged each other for a long time on the couch.  A terrible thought crossed my mind.  What if that was our last hug?  What if we never see him again?  I did not cry though.  I knew I had an important mission to accomplish.  I kept my calm the whole time and I was proud of how I was handling this situation.  I knew I was made tough and I am.  I drove around some more but I could not find him.  Mike called me then and found out that he was ok.  My heart just became a jelly.  Noah was all well in the police cruiser.  Apparently, he was on a busy street visiting homes on that street going in and out of people's homes scaring the residents.  One of the homeowners kept him and contacted police.  The nice person even put him in a fresh underwear since his diaper was full. 

The thought of this happening again is scary.  I almost want to build a cage around my house so that he cannot escape anymore.  It worries me that he has no fear when it comes to running away from home.  He tries hard everyday to break out from the house and I guess I am having a hard time understating why he wants to do that.  Is he feeling like a super bouncy ball that needs to be set free to bounce away to a bigger place?  He is very active in the house and is constantly moving around.  I know he is hyperactive and impulsive, which are the main traits of having Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.  Are his energy and impulsivity ruling his brain?  If so, it's time to book an appointment with Sean's psychiatrist.

So, the big-eyed boy scared the heck out of Mom and Dad, but he is as happy and energetic as usual everyday.  He still fiddles with the lock and he even tried to open the door getting the key from our key cabinet the other day.  Our escape artist in training.  Maybe he could become those performers who escape for a show.   He could escape and wow the audience but then he will keep running past the crowds, into the sunset.  AND I will mumble "there he goes again..." under my breath and chase after him with well toned legs for being a senior. 

No comments: