Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mike's 37th Birthday

Look how uncomfortable he is!  Kids liked the cake though!

Mike and I pretending this little boy is our son.

Girls eating cake.
Sunday was Mike's 37th birthday.  I met him when he was 22 years old so that means I've known him for 15 years.  That is like Sean's life x 3!  I think we are both about at the age to have the mid life crisis.  Maybe it already happened and we didn't even notice since we have mini crisis everyday! (half joke :-)

We didn't do anything special on the actual birthday as requested by the man, but we went out on a date on Friday night and went to a barbecue party at Mike's colleague's house on Saturday.  I didn't let Mike know this before hand, but I put the children in the parent night out event at YMCA after feeding them early dinner.  By the time Mike came home, the kids were gone and he was surprised.  We went to the Korean barbecue place in Bellevue and stuffed ourselves with all you can eat table top barbecue.  They were delicious and wished I had bigger stomach to eat more. 

I asked Mike's colleague who hosted the party if it is OK to bring a big birthday cake for Mike.  He was fine with it, so we surprised Mike by bringing out a big cake with candles on it.  He was utterly embarrassed and looked like he wanted to run away as we sang him the birthday song.  There were about 40 people including children.  After 11 years of marriage, I've always thought that he liked birthday surprises.  I just hope that I didn't ignite a desire to embarrass me more on my next birthday!

Overall, I think he had a nice birthday.  He got a triathlon timer watch, bike shirt and polo shirt from us.  He liked the present and he wore all of them on Saturday (he went on a bike ride on Sat).  Mental note to myself:  Mike doesn't like the attention he gets on his birthday, so no more large crowd cake scene!

No comments: