Sunday, July 17, 2011

Passing of Baaba, my grandmother

My grandmother Kazuko, aka Baaba,  passed away at 5:53 am on Sunday morning in Japan.  She led a turbulent life in early years after becoming a single mother to her four children, uncle Ken, my Dad, Isao, aunt Kimiko, and Yoshiko.  Japan was in the post war period and it was a difficult time for everyone.  Baaba was a very strong and smart woman though, and she earned her living selling goods and working as a journalist.  Eventually, she founded a commercial plumbing company, in which she remained as the president until her passing.  She had a very strong personality and that had gotten in a way of personal relationships.  I wish I could say that we were close, however me living in the U.S. and her intimidating nature built a wall between us.  Now that I am more knowledgeable about human emotions and brain functions, I wish I had the capacity then to understand her feelings.  She was a beautiful person and her sharp intelligence was a rare find.  We record the time of birth and then the death.  It is as if you are born again in the next stage and it's another beginning.  Baaba, we will remember your spirited voice and sense of humor (which most of the time was unintentional)!

No comments: