Monday, July 18, 2011

Race Weekend

This weekend was particularly energizing and exhausting at the same time due to two races in the Campbell's household.  On Saturday, I had Warrior Dash to attend at 9:00 am in North Bend and Mike had a Seattle Tri at 7:00 am in Issaquah. 

My race buddy, Jen and I participated in the Warrior Dash and it was definitely an experience for both of us!  I'd done well in obstacle course races when I was a kid, so I didn't think much of the them.  BUT a few of them tested my nerves because, I've never done anything like them in my life! 

Like, the Great Warrior Wall, which we climbed up a wooden wall with tiny slippery platforms and wet rope made my confidence shrink instantly as I took the first step.  I felt like an army cadet in training.  The last obstacle and the main event, the Muddy Mayhem, with low barbed wires and knee high mud allowed myself to let go and just get down right muddy!  I hesitated a little at first, but there was no avoiding!  That is how I got so muddy as in photos.  I did get hosed down with water spray and it was freakin' cold!  It was a cool and rainy day to begin with and here I am soaking wet head to toe with fresh cold water.  Yikes.  But Jen and I didn't dare miss a free glass of beer and we sipped shivering just as everyone else around us.  

I had a really good time and we are definitely signing up for next year.  We will wear some kind of costume to make it more fun.

Mike had a good race this morning at Lake Sammamish State Park.  He said he was not used to swimming in the lake and he lost some time to orient himself correctly.  However, he kicked some butt on bike and felt pretty good with his overall performance.  He was one pretty tired guy after the race and he laid on the ground letting a dog lick his face without a protest.  Mike finished as kids and I walked into the finish line area.  We didn't see him finish, but we heard his name being called.  We took some pictures and kids and I left since it was raining.  Going to see Daddy's race is a common occurrence in our house now.  Kids like to find Daddy in the crowd and are witnessing how working hard can be so rewarding.  Thanks Mike for setting a good example for all of us! 

We had a great weekend, except for the sad news about my grandmother. 
Life goes on though and we live strong for her legacy!

Before the Warrior Dash.  Clean and ready to kick butt!

Muddy, but proud to finish!

Jen and I showing off our mud.

They were in the same wave as ours.  I loved their costumes the best!

So, we clibmed up and came down, jumped over fire, and crawled in mud at the last stretch.

This guy (?) was completely covered in mud!

Mike after the race.  This doggy got free smoochin'

Finallly ready for a photo!

The kids were a little distracted because of the loud music and all the noises.

Don't they look just the same? 

No comments: