Sunday, August 21, 2011

Lakeside Autism Center Fun Day

Sean taking a water break.  He was playing very hard, enjoying himself!

Noah climbing onto the bouncy house.  Vina, the Speechy (a nickname for speech therapists amongst other therapist!) on the left.

Sayarrito!  Ay, yay!  Each kids get wrapped like a burrito after bath and I have to pretend to eat them.  I don't know how long we can keep this tradition going because Sean's getting too long to carry side way.  He even told me it hurts when I carry him.

Last Friday, Lakeside organized a fun day for their students in the afternoon. We had nothing to do after 3:00 pm, so I decided to take the kids there. There was going to be a bouncy house, so we definitely had to check it out. As soon as I arrived, I noticed they had the water spraying equipment there. I knew I was going to have a very wet boy the minute we walk in. So, I took his undershirt off so that he would have a dry shirt to wear later. Noah did dive into the water as I predicted, but it was a hot dry day after all. I took his shorts off and both his shirts and shorts dried fairly quickly. All of them enjoyed the bouncy house and spent a long time in there. One staff brought Saya to me saying she was red and was no longer jumping, so I let her take a break inside the building where it's cool. The kids had fun playing in the motor room and transition room where they had a kinect game set up. Most children attending has Autism or some other disability, but they were being just kids! They all seemed to be having a great time.

The beautiful things I saw there were the staffs' genuine smiles.  They were out there for hours in a hot heat cheering on each time the children came down the slide, flashing their beautiful smiles.  Sean and Noah feel completely comfortable with them and I know they really care about their students.  It's one of few places where we feel normal.  I am glad to be part of their community and I commend their staff for the wonderful job they are doing!!  Thank you, Lakeside!

No comments: