Saturday, November 17, 2012

Japan Trip Part 5 - My Relatives

The family.  They are the reason why I wanted to come home so badly.  I was able to see many of them in the short visit and how nice it was to see the famiiar faces!

We met up with my cousin Sachiko and her two kids, Tokio and Amo, and Sachiko's twin brother Masuo's wife Tomoko and their three kids, Michiki, Sakura and Nana at a children's indoor gym in Suita.  It was a fun play gym with a big ball pits, a place to play dress up, and lots of space to run around.  A kind of place where my kids would go nuts!  Aly and Saya were red cheeked and sweating in no time.  Their cousins were equally in the full blown play mode and Michiki who is ten was literally bouncing off walls.  It was nice to catch up with Sachiko.  My twin baby cousins are Mommy and Daddy now and that makes me feel pretty old! 

My maternal grandmother Yone's ashes were laid to rest in Higashi Honganji Temple on 10/21.  Yone passed away 12 years ago and half of her ashes are buried in her grave and the rest was to be returned to the main temple of the family's sect.  My aunts, uncles and cousins from my mother's side came from Mie prefecture to attend the ceremony.  I was glad to be able to attend the ceremony since I could not go to her funeral 12 years ago.  My Dad, Mom, the girls and I took an express train to Kyoto and the girls were very excited to take a train trip with everyone.  Not knowing the distance, we took a cab from the station to the temple.  We were quite embarrassed that we arrived a few blocks later.  It could have been the shortest cab ride ever.  The temple was huge.  I've visited temples like this before when I was younger but now with more appreciation to old architectures, I was mesmerized with its history and grandeur.  I hope to visit more historical sites in Kyoto in the next visit.

Aunt Misao and uncle Hideo were waiting outside and I spotted aunt Yoshiko, uncle Iwao, cousin Mizuho, aunt Kyoko and cousin Morito soon after.  They taught the girls how to pray with the praying beads and kept them occupied while waiting.  We sat in a big hall on the floor and listened to the monk talk about... hmm.. ok I wasn't listening.  I think my Dad even fell asleep and guess where I got the inattentiveness from!?  We were then moved to the main prayer hall and what a stunningly beautiful place it was.  The hallway to get there was like walking in a museum with antique Buddha statues left and right.  A dim candle lit lanterns were hanging from the ceiling and the floor was dark polished wood that mysteriously reflected the flickering flame of the lanterns.  Too bad we were not allowed to take photos.  It was amazing!  I was able to capture the lunch banquet scene in my camera.  The food was a collection of traditional monks' dish and they looked beautiful and were delicious.  The girls only ate jello though and they were fighting over it.  I looked around and other little boys and girls in the room were eating quietly.  I rarely get to see my relatives from Mie and I was so happy to have had an opportunity to attend this special day.

I was able to see my Dad's brother, Ken, and his wife Sayko two days before my departure day.  They came over to my Mom's place and paid for the catered meal so that my Mom doesn't have to cook.  They've always been so thoughtful and generous.  Uncle Ken was great with the girls.  I've never seen his grandpa side, but I could just imagine how he is with his grandchildren.  Saya kept asking him to eat a cut piece of lemon to see his reaction.  He happily played along with her several times, giving the best sour face there is, and Saya thought he was hilarious.  I didn't get to see their daughter, Yoko, but hopefully I will be able to spend some time with her the next time.  They are a sweet family and I am grateful to belong to a family full of caring people.

It's nice to be reminded that I do have aunts and uncles like people around me in America, people who know me since I was wee small.  I already miss their smiley faces but now feel a bit warmer in my heart, their kind words still fresh in my memory. 

Sachiko and Amo

Very sweet little girl!

Nana, Tokio and Sakura

Tokio and Michiki

On the way to the playdate with cousins - it was Saya's first time on a train.

On the way to Kyoto.  Jiji was busy keeping an eye on the girls.

Entertainment by Grandma on the express train to Kyoto.

Magnificent Higashi Honganji Temple - Saya and Aly were more excited about pigeons.

What a big temple!

Aly and Mizuho-chan

Aunt Kyoko and the girls.  I guess Aly does look like my side of the family. 

Aunt Misao was teaching Saya how to pray with beads.  She was trying her best.

When the monk started to talk, Aly looked around and sat up straight like everyone around.  She looked like a big girl!

Lunch banquet at the temple.  The traditional monk food was very tasty.  It's all vegetarian and very healthy.


Girls got quickly bored with lunch.  I ended up eating most of their food.

The view of the lush green garden was beautiful.

This is my best shot out of 500 plus pictrues I took in Japan.  I just love the colors, two panel composition and Aly's innocence.

Walking with children, you discover lots of interesting things around.  It's fun to walk with children for that reason.  We were looking at Koi by the temple.

My Dad discovered that it takes forever to walk with small children. 

Kyoto Tower reflecting against modern Kyoto station building.  It looked dated, but I like seeing structures from the past. 

Looking at the view of Kyoto city from the top of Kyoto station. 

Dinner with Uncle Ken and Aunt Sayoko.  Eating dinner with them reminded me of childhood get together with family.  I miss those days and my cousins...

Saya making uncle Ken eat lemons. 


No comments: