Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Happy Birthday Alyson and Noah




It's hard to believe my little twins are six years old already.  I feel like they have been around longer than six years, but then the years zoomed by so fast.  The baby videos of them look so old yet it seems like it was just yesterday.  This motherhood thing is like time warping all the time.  Before you know it, you are a half century old and your kids are taller than you. 

We had a little party for Alyson at home on Saturday and invited some friends from her kindergarten class.  I set up a pizza making station in the kitchen and the girls made their own pizza for lunch.  They had a good fun making their own pizza.  They were very eager to play with Alyson's toys, in particular the Elsa doll from the movie "Frozen" but they took turns playing with it without my intervention.  They enjoyed dressing up in Alyson's dress up costumes and became princesses.  They were very cute.  I baked a special cake for her again, this time a Lalaloopsy mermaid cake with her pet octopus.  She requested a chocolate cake with blue cream on top and that is what she got.  I think she is very lucky!  The girls liked the cake, they were mmming and commenting "Wow, this is so good it's made of real cream and everything."   It made me laugh because they were like little old ladies having afternoon teas. 

 The girls had a fabulous time and Alyson couldn't be happier.  I am glad we decided to celebrate with just a few friends this time since it was very manageable and stress free.  Alyson received thoughtful gifts from her friends and she was all about smiles.  Now, Saya wants the same party on her special day.  We will see about that.

I thought about having a party for Noah, too, but decided not to this year.  His friends from school and therapy tend to get stressed out being outside of their routine and although Noah and his friends would have enjoyed it with encouragements, I've decided that he is not going to hate me for not having one for him.  I did, however, make cupcakes for him and sang a little birthday song with the girls.   He wanted to touch the flame on the candle so I placed the cupcake out of his reach.  He was frowning the whole time while we sang to him.  He must have been annoyed thinking why the cupcake is not in his mouth already.  He liked the cake so much he ate a bit of the candle since the cream was on it.  Ooops!  I have to be careful making sure he can't reach what he shouldn't be eating.

I am proud of my twins and a bit emotional that the twins are so different now.  The cruelty of slight diffrence in genes, chromosomes or whatever it may be is drawing a line between them who shared the journey of fetus to human then huddling together in a crib being soothed by each other's warmth and presence.  Like a sad love song, I cannot focus on what it could have been.  Each person has his or her challenges in life and what is important is how we stride forward, making effort to become a better person.  Noah has many obstacles to lead a "normal" life at this point, but one thing for sure is that he works hard to learn what he is being taught and he enjoys learning very much.  I cannot ask for more.  I am very proud of my little boy - a big boy now that he is six.  I love you Alyson and Noah.  I am so glad you joined our family six years ago. 

No comments: