Saturday, February 15, 2014

Twins' birthday celebration at school


 

 
Our twins turned six last Tuesday and were beyond excited that they are turning six (and getting presents and eating cake of course).  Alyson was counting days and exclaimed every morning at breakfast how many days we have until her birthday.  Noah for the first time understood his birthday and was just so cute exclaiming "birthday!!" when we wished him happy birthday.  He led me to the kitchen cupboard where I keep my baking supplies.  They are growing up so fast and soon they won't be so little anymore.  I mean, Alyson is well beyond the height of an average kindergartner and even her face looks more matured than her classmates.  She always has been bigger and older-looking since she was a baby, but I have a feeling she is going to grow up extra fast.  Noah isn't as tall as Alyson and he still has the baby look and dimply hands.  I am going to enjoy it while he still have them! 

The twins each had a birthday celebration at their classroom and since they go to different schools, it was a bit hectic trying to make the delivery on time.  I had a crazy schedule that Tuesday and every minute was crucial to make sure I don't get delayed in anything.  I had to pick up and drop off Alyson's doughnuts (she requested doughnuts to share in her class) at her school, I had to drop off cakes and party supplies at Noah's school, and had a doctor's appointment in between.  It doesn't sound so bad but believe me, I was racing the clock in my minivan. 

Noah was just plain excited about the birthday cupcakes.  As soon as he found out I brought his birthday cupcakes to his class, he tried every teacher and aid in his class see if he or she would be willing to hand him the cupcake by leading them to where the cupcakes were.  We told him he has to wait until we all sit down, but he was a bit impatient about that.  When we finally all sat down, we sang him the happy birthday song.  His look was priceless!  He was sitting very still with a shy smile, a very appropriate look when you are feeling a little embarrassed but pleased.  It's very exciting to see him being attentive and being present like that. 

Aly's class has a ritual for a birthday celebration.  The birthday kid sits on the red rocking chair and gets to take the first bite of the treat after the classmates sing him or her an unique version of the birthday song.  The kids added "cha cha cha" to the lyric plus some other words and they sang it like they rehearsed, but I heard later that it was a new version.  They are funny kids,  Aly was very bashful but was smiling very big. 

I will write about presents and Aly's party in the next few posts!

No comments: