Monday, August 4, 2014

Backyard camping


Ready to camp!
My girls rarely play any video games but when they do they know what to do.  I am feeling old.  I used to be the one who knows the most in my house (in Japan) about those things.

Sean and Daddy had fun camping in the backyard while the girls went for a sleepover at Nana's house the other day.  We picked up a gas fire pit from Lowes just to do the s'mores.  You can't call it camping without a fire pit and s'mores!

We set up the tent and pumped air into the air bed.  The tent smelled like smoke from the last camping trip.  The fun memories with Sean and the Collins in the Hood River popped in my head.  It's interesting how a scent can trigger a rush of memories.  The camp was all set before the sunset and Sean and Mike had a good time roasting marshmallows.  Sean enjoys making s'mores but he doesn't like the gooey marshmallows.  He only eats crackers and chocolate.  He tries to feed me a bunch since he likes to make them.  The problem is, I don't like them so much myself, either.  It's way too sweet for me.  Every component has tons of sugar in it.  I don't know how anyone can stand that sweetness.  If I can somehow make less sweet version with maybe bitter chocolate and small marshmallows, it might be ok.  I've been here for more than 20 years, but I still can't get used to American sweets.

 I met up with a friend that night so I couldn't see them sleeping in the tent, but they said they had lots of fun sleeping out in the backyard.  It's very cute to see them do a fun father and son activity together.  A girly mother and daughters activity is calling next, I think.  The only thing I would change is to not allow any electronic devices.  I was surprised to hear that Sean was watching something on his tablet in the tent.  I rather have them play a card game under the lamp instead playing with the electronic gadgets.  Well, Daddy has to work on that one.  He would have a hard time parting with his toys overnight. 

On the separate note... I still cannot find my Photoshop CD.  I have some pictures I want to play around with but my little helper is missing.  Maybe I will remember where I hid it when the school starts and everything is quieter.  School!?   It's not too long from now.  The thought of it is giving me anxiety!!  My baby girl is starting kindergarten and then Sean has a busy football season.  Oh my!  I don't know why I am doing this to myself!

No comments: