Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Happy Birthday Mommy!!



I celebrated my 40 something birthday in early April with my family.  I was unfortunately very ill with bronchitis and Alyson, Sean and Mike were also sick with the equal or worse conditions.  All I wanted to do was to rest and get better.  My Mom was here with us, so it was very special regardless.

What can I say, I am getting old!  I was a careless 20 something until just a while ago.  After getting married, everything went by so fast.  When I moved to Australia, I was only 28 and when I came back, I was 31.  We lived in sunny California for two years and moved to Washington at 33 with Sean in my belly.   After juggling motherhood with a full-time job, I became pregnant with twins and gave birth to Aly and Noah when I was 35.  When the twins were six month old, I fell pregnant again with Saya and gave birth to her about a month after turning 37.  I briefly went back to work with the help of Amy, our nanny, but left work at 38 when we discovered Noah's diagnosis of Autism. 

Everything after that is just a blur.  Five years of blur.  Our children grew and learned a lot, so that is a good indication of how we spent the past five years.  There are times I am not proud of myself like this morning when I yelled at Sean for misbehaving.  The maturity and patience are my weakness when it comes to raising my children.  I am an artist type who goes by feelings.  I would say "something isn't right" and analyze what it is. That doesn't work well with kids and my husband alike and I realized I have a lot to learn.  Despite my imperfections, the children and hubby love me.  It is amazing how forgiving they are! 

My goal for this year is getting fit.  I am getting into yoga now and seriously aiming to become a decent yogi.  I dislike not being good at something I like.  With the help from my friend/my teacher, I am getting more flexible and stronger.  It may take time but I think I might be able to the difficult poses down the road.  Strong body with good energy flow will keep me healthy physically and mentally.  Yoga is probably the least likely activity I would have chosen, but that makes me feel even more determind to challenge and conquer!

So, in a nutshell, I had a very good birthday.  My wonderful mother-in-law spoiled us with a delicious Italian meal a week after my birthday.  I was able to see her best friend, Karen, again who was visiting from North Carolina, too.  Everyone sang me the Happy Birthday song but the only problem was the candle said 46!  I loved the ice cream cake very much, but excuse me, I am not 46 yet!  They shrugged off saying "oh we couldn't find any other candles" and left me without a speech.  Well, I will be 46 soon anyway!! 


No comments: