Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Bike Guy



Mike has been working out pretty regularly through out his adult life. He's always been muscular as far as I've known him and he was one of those guys that cast big shadow wherever he stood. He's never been overweight, just a big guy. He's gotten pretty fit when we lived in Australia because we had time to work out twice or even three times a day. Mike and I used to spot each other in the gym and we probably looked ridiculously funny, a skinny girl spotting a big dude bench pressing stick with rolls of 20 pounders. But he's always had trouble with maintaining the fitness level he wanted.
However, Mike is a new man today. He's become that bike guy you see cruising down the road in flashy tight outfit. He jogs almost every morning and commutes 6 miles to work on his bike whenever he can (yes, there are lots of hills). He eats sensibly and doesn't overdo like he used to. He's really changed his ways and this time I do feel for life. He's lost over 30 pounds and below 10% body fat! I am very proud of him for overcoming his eating challenges and being persistent about getting daily exercise. It's not easy to work out having demanding jobs outside as well as inside home. It is so easy to pass a workout with countless reasons (excuses) that are in your face. But he sticks with his goals everyday. His first half marathon is coming up in two weeks and I am looking forward to cheering him on and be inspired!

2 comments:

Machelle said...

Good for him! I am trying to find that balance in my life and get this weight off. It is a hard battle with food. He looks great and it will help him in the long run as he gets older! Plus it sets a good example for your kids. Good luck on the marathon. I think "those" people are nuts! haha

Tired Parents said...

Thanks Machelle! Sounds like you are a gym goer as well. I really need to but Saya won't stop crying at the childcare and I can't do anything. I suppose I have to try many times until she gets used to it!