Monday, May 14, 2012

Super Moon!

Supermoon taken from my deck.  It was hard to get a good shot of it.


I don't know much about this phenomenon... but we had a supermoon about a week ago and that happens when the moon is closest to the earth. It was the brightest moon I've ever seen, I think, but who really pays attention to the moon's brightness anyway!? I am a city girl, and I am not in tune with moon and stars on regular basis...

The excerpt from Wiki:

A supermoon is the coincidence of a full moon or a new moon with the closest approach the Moon makes to the Earth on its elliptical orbit, resulting in the largest apparent size of the moon's disk as seen from Earth.

I told Mike that you can notice the brightness of it if you look at it in the peripheral vision. If you don't look at it directly but look at about 90 degrees away from it, it sort of looks like a bright stadium light at a ball field. So, it was a small excitement of the night, but not a significant enough to write more about it.

No comments: