Tuesday, December 10, 2013

On my mind these days...



Saya has been acting like a diva lately.  She had a sweet streak for a while and then again entered a nay phase since several weeks ago.  It's as if she gets bored with getting compliments and decides to be rebellious.  Winter might be a hard time for her since she is still little and picks up cold germs here and there.  That certainly would puts her in a little crankier mood.  She has a stuffy nose now and it might be that she is not getting a restful sleep at night.  Either way, I miss my sweet agreeable girl!  I am sure she will come back soon!?   I hope. 

Tuesdays are Aly's Nana day and Nana takes her to her house to spend a quality time with her.  That means Sean and Saya have some time to paly together without Aly being around.  I remember they actually got along very well together while Aly was in Japan for eight months last year.  When she came back, I noticed their relationship has gotten more complex and I knew Sean missed playing with Saya.  I am glad at least on Tuesdays, they get to spend some time together and it's good to see them getting along without getting too hyper.  Alyson sometimes perhaps unintentionally disturbs Sean's planned play scenarios and therefore makes Sean very upset.  She is more likely to disagree with Sean in play ideas than Saya.  She will, I hope, eventually teach Sean to be more flexible but that will not happen for some time.  I am glad my children are able to learn social and interpersonal skills and their consequences from each other.  I was missing that at home when I was growing up and look at me now!  Well, just joking but that must be a big plus right?

I am just mumbling today since I don't want to dedicate this post for writing one topic.  Sean and Aly brought home their report cards last Friday.  Alyson received mostly threes but had twos in the area of time management, following instructions and communication.  In their school, 4 is exceeds average, 3 is meets standard, 2 is approaches standard, and 1 is below standard.  I was shocked that Sean received a few ones in the similar areas as Alyson's.  I am not sure if his IEP (Individual Education Plan written for him from the Special Education team) is appropriate since obviously he needs additional help.  I will bring it up in the next meeting, but it seems that I do need to take some actions here.  The teacher is managing 29 children and about five of them are special needs.  I honestly don't think he has time to make sure Sean is listening or doing what he is supposed to do.  I volunteer in his class every Thursday, but I may need to go in more often.  I am going to make a binder for him with a schedule and a checklist so that he knows what he is supposed to do next.  Maybe now that he is getting older and more independence is expected from each student, we may start to see certain issues with inattentive student like him.  Knowing my own problems in school growing up, I will come up with a plan to help him organize in class.  Lots of short term goals and positive affirmations should be helpful! 

No comments: