Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Easter 2014


 


 
Easter has been around at stores since February and so when it actually arrived, my impression was "it's about time!" It didn't mean though I had plenty of time to prepare and of course Mike and I were stuffing the eggs with goodies the night before yawning.   I know the kids look forward to it every year.  They have so much fun egg hunting like it's a second Halloween.  We are not a religious family however coming from a spiritual culture like Japan, I kind of miss having the larger than life element in our lives.  I learned to be respectful to nature and be humble through Shinto and Buddhist teachings although I am not a member of neither religion.  Their teachings are sort of blended into everyday life in Japan.  It would be nice to introduce our children to varieties of customs and beliefs through Holiday like Easter not just the presents and catchy fun activities they gravitate towards to. 

We had Nana over for Easter dinner.  I served oven roasted lam and asparagus, spring beets salad with goat cheese and roasted pine nuts, deviled eggs, and sourdough bread.  Nana brought mushed potatoes, which was very nice.  I think the dinner turned out great!  I hardly ever make a lam dish but it was tender and flavorful.  I enjoy cooking very much, so it was a lot of fun to whip up a special meal for my family.

We had a very nice Easter again this year.  I am hoping Noah develops more interest in collecting eggs next year.  He found some eggs but didn't really see any point in keeping them.  The girls were adorable in their dresses.  I am glad we have two little girls to dress up.  Sorry boys only parents.  You are missing out a bit!

No comments: