Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Campbell's Book Picks



I have been reading to Sean almost every night to introduce him to the wonderful world he can step into through books.  I have read several great books so far but the two that stand out are Wonder by R.J. Palacio and I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. 

Wonder is an amazing read about a boy who has facial deformity by birth and how he and people around him realize a little courage can give a positive impact on others.  I won't get into the details, but Sean was hooked on this book and often asked me to keep reading more.  This is an excellent book to teach youth how important it is to have compassion for others.  The voice changes from the boy to her sister, her mother, his friends etc... so it is very interesting to hear how they perceive things differently and what their experiences are.  I cried reading the last few pages of the book and it left me with a cleansed sensation after reading.  If you have not read it yet, I highly recommend it!

The story about Malala is quite a famous one and since Sean has this age typical "girls sucks" attitude, I thought I would read the book to him to let him know how girls in other parts of the countries are fighting for their rights.  The book is a young readers edition so I think it left out some grizzly details about her shooting incident.  It does mention about flogging and murders committed by Taliban and Sean could not believe someone would choose to do such heinous things just because they don't obey their rules.  At first, Sean was saying that Malala is lucky she didn't have to go to school after Taliban took over, but after a while he was in disbelief about how such a basic thing in America has to become a cause of a battle.  I will show him the video of Malala's speech when she won the Nobel Peace prize.  He is now very interested in Malala's cause and I hope he will learn to be an equality advocate for women in the future.  It is an intense read but it has a great message for every reader. 

I suppose it might be best to avoid reading them before bedtime because you might have a hard time stopping.  I enjoyed reading them to Sean though!  Mike likes to "read" to him by listening to audio book with him, but I like to manually read because I think it will leave a lasting impression to the children and they feel my love for them.  I am a busy Mom but I like to take a little quiet time with my children before their bedtime. 

It is time for me to find another book to read to Sean.  Do you have a favorite children's novel?

No comments: